It was like kids in a candy story. Everyone wanted them. Lawyers, journalists, you name 'em. Just about everyone in town wanted the documents, the list of the 10,000-plus clients who solicited the services of the D.C. Madam.
Where the coveted documents went has been a mystery for weeks. At first Deborah Jeane Palfrey, who is accused of running a high-end prostitution ring in the District, tried to auction them off to foot her legal bills. But Federal District Judge Gladys Kessler barred Palfrey from selling her records because any proceeds would simply be frozen by the feds.
Now it appears the secret is out. The chosen one was Brian Ross, head of the investigative team at ABC News.
Sibley explains Palfrey's choice with these responses:
"She wanted to find a participant that would do a professional job and not a hatchet job."
"Jeane was very impressed with Brian Ross."
And, "his reputation is stellar."
Sibley says Palfrey sat down with Ross for an interview in New York last month during a court-approved visit to the Big Apple to meet with potential criminal defense lawyers.
He says the interview is expected to air May 4. As for the records, which run from 2002 to 2006, Sibley says, "We haven't really gotten much feedback on what they found and how they intend to tell the story."
Guess that part is still a mystery.